7.22.2009

Conor Oberst To Do One Final Bright Eyes Album

Well, this has been in the works for quite awhile. I said it after his 2008 collaboration with the Mystic Valley Band, and then reaffirmed the claim after this year's miserable effort, Outer South. Conor Oberst is, in fact, done with the Bright Eyes moniker... after the next album. According to an interview in The Rolling Stone, and this article in the Omaha World-Herald, he's got one more album in him, slated for 2010, and then it'll be retired. To be honest, this is a bit saddening for me, and I'm sure many others. I understand that he's past the mindset that allowed him to create music for Bright Eyes for so long, but I just hope that this last release is as inspiring as his work in the first half or so of the decade (up to and including I'm Wide Awake It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digitial Urn), rather than the second half (Cassadaga). The last thing I'd want to do is remember Bright Eyes with a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully Oberst feels similarly.

1 comment:

John said...

We should all talk about how viciously late Pitchfork was on this story-- literally hours after everybody else (specifically including this site) had already reported.