6.30.2009

Best of 2009 So Far: #11-15

I'd like to start this off by saying that this has been a fantastic year in music thus far. In six months, one may even go as far to say that the overall quality of 2009's releases has already surpassed 2008's. You can count me one of them. I'd also like to take this time to thank everyone who has been reading over the last 12 months, as well as those who have supported this blog in anyway. As we head into year two, you can expect much more from us, as we hopefully see more of you. It has been, and will continue to be, a pleasure.

Below are albums #11-15 (in opposite order) for the year thus far. For the albums that have been reviewed here already, we've also included a link to the original review. Some things have changed. Others have not. Either way, all original reviews were left as they were.

Just reviewed last week, Wilco's latest effort squeaks in to the top 15 of the year thus far. It shows a proud and happy Jeff Tweedy- one who, maybe, is finally comfortable with both the life that exists inside, and one outside of the music. Not their best, but in no way their worst, Wilco (The Album) is definitely one fans of the band can embrace.

I'm just going to face facts that I'll probably take some heat for this. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and a fan of Belle and Sebastian, so when I saw Stuart Murdoch put together a pseudo- 60s concept album, I needed a listen. Quaint, fun and playful, this album does all I could have asked of it.

Every year there are a couple of debuts that blow me away. Here We Go Magic would fit that bill. Luke Temple's new project isn't jaw-dropping, as much as it's simply thought-provoking. A fresh gust of air in an increasingly crowded indie and folk scene. Plus, I'm pretty sure one of the underlying themes is an alien abduction, which is fun.

12. Bromst, Dan Deacon
I'm still hooked on the first description I ever read of Dan Deacon- "electro-terrorist". Never has an artist been described so ridiculously, yet so aptly in the same breath. Bromst is a tribute to positive noise, and the outcomes you can create when literally mixing the hell out of an effects board. Not for the faint of ear, but if you enjoy an album with a lot going on, here it is.

As I mentioned when it came out, this album surprised the hell out of me. Positive steps, and real, natural progression and maturity in music. Plus the powerful vocal pipes of one Andy Hull, and you've got yourself quite an album. The band has taken their formula to the next level, hopefully with more to come.

Well that's the first five. Stop back in tomorrow for round two of three, when we reveal numbers 6 through 10.

No comments: