4.02.2009

Matt's Track of the Week: "I Was A Cage"

Song: I Was A Cage
Artist: Right Away, Great Captain!
Album: The Eventually Home
Year: 2008

I'm slowing things down this week with "I Was A Cage" by Right Away, Great Captain!.  This band, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated musical projects in the current indie scene.  It's basically made up of Manchester Orchestra's Andy Hull, along with some small collaboration with friends.  For those of you who don't know, the first album, The Bitter End, was a rigid concept record that was put together in 3 days.  It revolves around a 16th century sailor at sea and the journal entries he writes to his captain and his wife back at home.  The general vibe was that it was very much a side-project.  With The Eventually Home, however, RA,GC! has come into their own right, with an album that is less obviously based in the story, and more about solid songs with some great sounds.  It's actually hard to tell that it's the second part of a planned trilogy.

"I Was A Cage" is a slow burning and emotional tune that feels similar to something off of Bright Eyes' I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. There's a feeling of regret to it, but it isn't depressing.  It tells the story of a narrator who might still have the one they love by their side if only they had not smothered them and made them feel trapped.  It's a good song to wind-down with after a long day.  In fact, the album as a whole is incredibly relaxing, and if you haven't heard it yet, I would recommend that you get a hold of it soon.  Give the song a listen below.

No comments: