4.29.2009

John's Track of the Week: "Slow With Horns/Run For Your Life"

Track: Slow With Horns/Run For Your Life
Artist: Dan Deacon
Album: Bromst
Year: 2009

I was reading another blog a couple of weeks back, and they referred to Dan Deacon as an "electro-terrorist".  Now, though I, like everybody else, am not a fan of terrorism, hearing an artist described as one makes me want to listen to what they have to offer.  So, when I echo the aforementioned description of Mr. Deacon, know that you should probably pay attention.  Dan Deacon is an electro-terrorist.  It's his job.  It's who he is.  Oh, and he's really good at it. 

"Slow With Horns/Run For Your Life," one of the standouts off of this year's Bromst seems to personify the description to perfection.  The title of the song is also aptly named, as the progression begins slow, with horns, before quickening to an synth-keyboard based duel that creates the illusion of (wait for it)...running for your life.  To me, Bromst as a whole is a masterpiece when it comes to just the pure level of sound he's got going on, and I severely regret not being able to write about it as a whole when it came out.  Still, until the time comes when I can expand upon the album, check out this track, and watch for some Neutral Milk Hotel comparisons in the first half.  The horns get very In The Aeroplane Over the Sea-y at one point and to me, it's a pretty cool deal.

No comments: